Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Chiodos

Bone Palace Ballet
Equal Vision Records

If Robert Smith of the Cure were to front an alt/metal band the outcome might sound a lot like Chiodos. That's the first impression I got when I listened to the band's latest release "Bone Palace Ballet". Vocalist Craigery Owens really does remind you of the Cure's legendary front man with his high pitched shrieks and soft moaning whispers. But Owens has a good voice regardless of the similarities and infuses this with a harder edge, which includes some real hardcore screaming (which thankfully is kept to a minimum, as it's far to common in this style of music today). The songs have quirky twists and turns that are not at all predictable, which I found quite refreshing as well. On the metal side of things the guitars come in blazing with some great riffs and some great lead work! These guys have some serious shred capability and they are not afraid to show it. The song titles are quite strange with titles such as "Is It Progression If A Cannibal Uses A Fork?", "I Didn't Say I Was Powerful, I Said I Was A Wizard". and "If I Cut My Hair Hawaii Will Sink". This is a wonderful departure from the current crop of bands who fall into this genre (that are beginning to all sound alike if you ask me) that show some great musical ideas and display a wealth of talent that should only get better.

- Craig Harvey

No comments: