Wednesday, October 31, 2007

The Vision Bleak

The Wolves Go Hunt Their Prey
Napalm Records

I first heard The Vision Bleak on their debut cd "The Deathship Has A New Captain" and I must say I really dug it. The duo of Olf Theodor Schwdorf and Allen B. Konstanz lay down a terrifying metal dirge of doom guitar riffs, thundering bass and drums while adding dark atmospheric synths and low eerie vocals. Yeah I know , there are a million gothic/metal bands doing the exactly the same formula. So what sets them apart from the fold? Beats me. These guys just... make it work better than a lot of their peers. Even Schwdorf's vocals slightly remind me of Type O Negative crossed with The Sisters Of Mercy to some extent, but so what? The lyrical influences range from H.P. Lovecraft, to Egyptian mythology, vampires, Poe, etc... They move all over the horror genre with frightening ease and on their new Cd "The Wolves Go Hunt Their Prey" it really pays off. So, if you like your gothic metal with a little more "bite", then I highly recommend The Vision Bleak. Just in time for Halloween kiddies.

- Craig Harvey

No comments: