Thursday, February 19, 2009

Sixx A.M.

The Heroin Diaries Soundtrack
Eleven Seven Music


I was a Motley Crue fan from way back (especially their first two albums) but they went a little too commercial for me and I never really followed them much after "Shout At The Devil". That said, I never showed much interest in the solo efforts of some of the members either. That changed when I heard Sixx A.M 's song "Life Is Beautiful". This was an example of a great rock song that stayed in my head for days on end. However, was the rest of the album just as good, or was it just a fluke? After just one listen to "The Heroin Diaries", I can tell you for sure it was not a fluke. This is solid, extremely well written album full of fantastic songs that you will want to hear over and over again.

"The Heroin Diaries" chronicles bassist Nikki Sixx's downward spiral into the black abyss of heroin addiction and his desperate struggle to crawl back from the gutter that had become his life. The story takes place in the years 1986 through 1987 during Motley Crue's reign of debauchery and decadence. While it's not the most uplifting of subject matters, you feel as if your with him on this journey to regain his sanity and his soul. The songs themselves range from heavy, hard rock numbers to mournful ballads, all having brilliant lyrics with spoken word intermissions by Sixx himself. Regardless if you’re a Crue fan or not, this is a great album that I can't say enough good things about.

- Craig Harvey

No comments: