Monday, January 21, 2008

Ghoultown

Bury Them Deep
Zoviet Records


I heard two songs from Ghoultown on a Zoviet Records sampler and man I was hooked! These bad boys from the lone star state have a cool style that combines rockabilly/gothabilly, a little metal, and every spaghetti western soundtrack you can think of. The guitars move from twangy reverb tones to grinding heavy grooves throughout and the gruff vocals of Count Lyle, (yeah they all have cool stage names) are raw and tough. Hell, they even have a trumpet player! (You can hear him paying homage to Ennio Morricone on several songs). You just gotta love these guys! The entire album is just great, but my favorite track is the last one "Walking Through The Desert With A Crow." It's sums up the bands sound perfectly. Actually, this is the song that made me want to get this album in the first place. With music this good, I have got to catch their live show. I can't recommend this release enough! You hear me partner?

- Craig Harvey

No comments: